Langsung ke konten utama

Gedung Sate


Gedung Sate with it’s characteristic ornament that looks like a sate stick, has been a landmark building for the city of Bandung for a long time. Not only for residents of Bandung or West Java, but people all over Indonesia recognize the style of the building which has become an example for several other buildings in West Java The building of the railway station in Tasikmalaya is a good example. It was constructed in the 1920’s and as of today the still white government building is now used as the center of power for the province of West Java.

During the Dutch colonial time, Gedung Sate was known as the Gouvernements Bedrijven or GB. The first stone was laid by Johanna Catherina Coops, the eldest daughter of the mayor of Bandung, B. Coops and his wife Petronella Roelofsen, which were the representatives of the Governor-General in Batavia, J.P. Graaf van Limburg Stirum, at 27 July 1920. The building is the result of a planning team that was made up from Ir. J. Gerber, a young architect with name from the Technische Universiteit Delft in the Netherlands, Ir. Eh. De Roo and Ir. G Hendriks from the local government of Bandoeng.

Construction of the building

Around 2.000 people were involved in the construction of the building. 150 of them were highly skilled stone and wood workers from the Chinese regions of Konghu and Kanton. They received help from other stone-workers, coolies and other workers which lived in the villages of Kampung SekeloaKampung Coblong DagoKampung Gandok and Kampung Cibarengkok. They ealier worked on the Gedong Sirapbuilding at the campus of the Technische Hoogeschool Bandoeng (nowadays Institut Teknologi Bandungand Gedong Papak, the city hall of Bandung.

After four years of construction, in September 1924, the main building for the Gouvernements Bedrijvenwas finished, as well as the main office for the PTT (Post, Telefoon en Telegraaf, Mail, Telephone and Telegraph) and a library.

Architecture

The architecture of Gedung Sate is a work of Ir. J. Gerber and his group which had in mind to make a design that closely resembled the works of famous Dutch architect Dr. Hendrik Petrus, which used many traditional features from all over Indonesia in his designs. Many architects and structural designers say that Gedung Sate is a monumental building that expresses an unique architectural design, which is known as Indo-European architecture.

A few of the poeple that praise the building are Cor Pashier and Jan Wittenberg, both architects from the Netherlands. They say the “architecture of the building is the result of an experiment which pushes the looks of the building towards Indo-European.” D. Ruhl mentioned Gedung Sate as the “most beautiful building in Indonesia” in the book Bandoeng en haar Hoogvlakte from 1952

Dr. H.P. Berlage, during his visit to Gedung Sate in April 1923, said that “the building is one of the biggest architectural works which melted features from west and east in an harmonious way”. It is similar to the style of architecture in Italy during the Renaiscance. The several stories high tower in the center of the building has some similarities with a pagoda as well. Until today there are a number of Indonesian architects that praise the building for it’s architectural strength, for example Slamet Wirasonjaya and Ir. Harnyoto Kunto.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

TTS QUIZ

Vertical: 1. The taste of sea water 2. the number of all the organisms of the same group or species 5.   organ of hearing 6.  the amount of energy flowing from one body to another spontaneously due to their temperature difference, or by any means other than through work or the transfer of matter 8. vocal group 11. …. I love you, you should love me. 12. the price is expensive, hard to find, woman love this things, usually used as a wedding ring       15.  …. Are the power rangers       16.  the touch or pressing of one's lips against another person or an object       17.  ….. jacket is in that closet       19.  my friend meet my …-girlfriend 20. I sleep on my ... at night 22. clock tell us the … 23. WiFi is a technology for …less local area networking with devices based on the IEEE 802 24. a rigid organ that constitutes part of the vertebrate skeleton 25. a normally tubular weapon or other device designed to discharge projectiles or other materia

Announcement

To all student of grade 10 Senior High School 3 (SMAN 3) Bandung. School will hold a graduation party 2011, the program will be hold on Date          : July 16th, 2011 Day           : Saturday Time         : 10 a.m - 1 p.m Invitation card available at Student Organization Sign, Sudent Organization link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbwcuW2t9rI

It's Me

     Hello everybody! M y name is Arya Teja Sukmana, you can call me Arya. I live in Bandung. I study at SMA Nergei 3 Bandung. I am the only child in my family. Before I study here, I was studied at SMP Negeri 2 Bandung. My hobbies are play basketball, play guitar, piano, drawing something and reading novel. Actually, I love singing but I know that my voice is not really good. I was had a band, named Fake Tag. The band consist of 3 people. There are Hudia as vocalist, Dio as guitarist and me as guitarist. I want to be an  Architect and Interior Design. My next goals is I want to study at ITB.     I live with my parents. My parents are very  patient while taking care of me. I don't have any brother or sister. So, I am alone but I am not lonely because I can make myself not feel lonely by doing my hobbies. If my parents are not at home, I love to eat and cook. It makes my kitchen so messy and look dirty sometimes. I can cook a little bit, just make some fried rice and strawberries